Saturday, September 22, 2007

Unpredictable Sickness

All the time of being here in Xela, most of the new teachers, including myself, have tried to be extra careful not to eat dirty food or drink dirty water. All for the sake of avoiding sickness, right? Well, I seem to have caught something despite all the precautions. Not a stomach bug, but a sinus infection, cold type thing. Here they call everything the "gripe" literally translated though, you learn that it means the "flu" in spanish class. Hispanics call every cold the "gripe" though. It's pretty funny.

Anyhow, the week after the fun independence festivities has proven to be not quite so fun. I had a fever most of the week, and am only now (Saturday) feeling remotely normal and well. Still congested, but not shivering or hot or achy any longer.

To recap the week, we had school pictures on Tuesday. I got my individual picture taken, a picture with my homeroom, the senior class, and a whole school picture. Unfortunately neither the homeroom nor the whole school picture will be featured in the yearbook because my homeroom students, bless their dirty little souls, decided to all flick the camera off in every single one of their pictures. Naive me didn't even notice...neither did the principal who was watching the pictures being taken. They all received detention for punishment. Perhaps more punishment is coming, I'm not quite sure.

Our house got a pet today also...a little puppy that is on the verge of death. She has not been named yet; we're not quite sure she's going to live so we don't want to get attached if she's going to die soon. She came from the farm of one of my roommate's boyfriend. Two of her littermates died already, and one is doing just fine, very healthy. She was needin some tender lovin care, so she came to live with us.

I'm looking forward to teaching without fever next week!

5 comments:

Philip said...

Samoans call all sickness the flu too. Still confuses me.
Jaime

Sammie said...

Aw I hope you feel better!

becky said...

JUST FOUND YOUR BLOG....CAN'T BELIEVE ITS TAKEN ME THIS LONG TO GET ALL CAUGHT UP! love hearing about all of your travels. one of my close dc friends is moving to denver. he'll love it. wish i could visit both of you there. hoping to chat on skype soon. miss you randi. praying for you. love you.

Jen said...

I'd love to hear about how you celebrate the day of the dead on Friday!

Sammie said...

so did you die, or what?