Monday, August 6, 2007

Empieza the adventure

So, I arrived with little to no hitches in Guatemala City Saturday afternoon after spending Friday night at a hotel in Chicago. My bags all made it on my flight, which was great because one of my fellow new teachers wasn´t quite so fortunate. I walked out of the airport not knowing how exactly I was going to find the men from my school who were supposed to pick me up. I assumed they would have my name or theirs on a card so I exited the airport, scanning the crowd and pushing my luggage cart very, very slowly so I could read all the name. I was almost to the end of the line, to the parking lot, and still no sign of them when someone called my name. They could somehow tell it was me, the fact that I looked lost, was American, had way too much luggage, and was scanning very intently into the crowds probably gave me away.

Mr. Brodbeck, the director of the school, Michael, the new principal, and myself were the only ones who arrived Saturday. So we spent the night at a nice hotel, the Best Western. And then picked up everyone else Sunday morning. We then drove, in the pouring down rain for 4 hours to reach Xela (pronounced Chaylah). We didn´t get here until night time so we couldn´t see anything of the city or the two volcanoes surrounding the city. They immediately dropped us off at our houses, and then left!

My house mom is Luisa and her family: Allan (her son), Alberto (her nephew), and Cesar (her husband). They are very lively energetic people, and we actually laughed a lot my first night. The whole language thing makes me uncomfortable, but it was for that reason that I chose to live with a family instead of in an apartment, like most of the other new teachers did.

I unpacked my things and settled my room, it is small but comfortable. They actually have a very nice house compared to the houses I went in last time I was in Guatemala. There is a living room, a kitchen, three other small bedrooms, and one bathroom. I am about to be late for lunch so I will write more later!

2 comments:

Rick J said...

We'll eagerly look forward to your posts, and we'll be praying for you. - R&V

Welcome! said...

Glad you will be blogging so that we can keep up with you. Big hugs! Amber and Jeremy