Sunday, December 2, 2007

Dia de Accion de Gracias

Hard to believe, but one week ago, I was in El Salvador on the beach, tanning, sleeping, and reading non-textbooks. It was incredibly fun! Seven friends and I traveled to El Salvador for our five day weekend to spend Thanksgiving on the beach. We ended up staying at a small little beach/surf resort named something 'horizonte'. It was an incredible vacation! We literally relaxed, swam in the ocean, boogie boarded (my personal favorite), layed-out, played cards, and ate good food for the entire weekend. We also got to see a little bit of another country. FYI, in El Salvador, they chop the 's'es off their words so it's a harder to understand Spanish (or as my spanish teacher would say, a "less pure" spanish) than here in Guatemala.

We also visited the Capital of El Salvador, San Salvador for a day. They have the nicest and biggest mall in Central America there. We walked in and it was like culture shock. I didn't even end up buying anything because I just wandered around in awe, looking at all the stores gathered in just one place, and being bumped to and fro by the huge throng of people that were shopping at the mall on a Saturday evening. It was crazy! I expect that going back to the States for Christmas will be at least that bad in terms of culture shock with materialism, big crowds, white people, people who speak english with a good accent, no trash in the streets, no stray dogs, throwing trash in trash cans, being able to drink the sink water, christmas decorations that aren't all guady, etc. (I think you get the picture).

Anyways, I came back from Thanksgiving vacation in El Salvador tan, relaxed, refreshed, and ready to finish out the last three and a half weeks before Christmas. Now that one week is down, all we have left is one week of regular classes (maybe one and a half for some of my classes) followed by a week of review for final exams, followed by three days of final exams and then HOME! I am beginning to get very excited about getting to see friends and family over the holidays and to go to Walmart and get everything I need all in one place. Yes, I support the convenience of Walmart and Target.

1 comment:

Sammie said...

I'm so glad you got to have some beach... it's FREEZING here right now!